Terms: Part-Time (20-30 hours/week), On-going, Hourly
Some evenings/weekends required. Review: Oral at 6 months, written at one year.
The Steel Yard collaborates with local artists, vendors, and industry to produce custom and site-specific, functional public sculptures. Our teams of artists work closely with each community, municipality or non-profit client to develop, design and produce each unique project. Examples of this functional public art can be seen throughout Southern New England: in Olneyville Square, the Town of Bristol, the International Charter School, the Town of Warren, Riverview in Warwick, at Tufts University, Brown University, RISD and throughout Downtown Providence. Proceeds generated from our line of urban furniture help to keep our Course fees low and Youth Programs free.
The Art Production Coordinator (APC) is responsible for the successful pre- and post-production of the Steel Yard’s functional and decorative Public Projects. The APC will work with the Public Projects Director (PPD) and Studio Director to maintain a safe and efficient shop for production and generally help with the successful completion of Public Projects.
The APC will determine the details concerning fabrication, installation, and delivery of all projects in consultation with Public Projects Director. Together they will support contracted artists in the completion of their commissioned projects. The APC will also play a vital role in coordinating work between the Steel Yard’s job training programs and Public Projects division through production assistance and management where necessary.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment
- Assist in the fabrication of all public projects with the willingness to mentor and train those less knowledgeable.
- Keep regular weekly hours of studio time in which artists can schedule meetings/ consultations or scheduled work.
- Maintain an open line of communication with the PPD and the Client Relations Manager (CRM) about projects currently in the shop and ready to be installed.
- Schedule and coordinate project installations and deliveries with PPD, CRM, and Clients. Work with install teams and or contractor to complete the installation of projects.
- Schedule deliveries of product to vendors for finishing with PPD.
- Act as a direct representative for the Public Projects Department maintaining a positive, supportive public face and attitude as a role model in the community, with the understanding that installations are vital moments of contact in the client and community relationship.
- Maintain good records of project details, specifications, receipts, and bills.
- Assist in the hiring of artists, fabricators, and general services as needed to accomplish management tasks. This includes the coordination of artist/contractors for installations and assistance when needed.
- Develop best practices for material storage and workflow in the Public Projects Shop
- Expand on training and procedures for onboarding and support of new fabricators and artists
- Promote the Steel Yard’s mission
- Attend occasional staff meetings, and Annual Board Meetings when requested
- Participate in fundraising events and initiatives
- Attend organizational planning meetings when requested by the Executive Director
Reports to the Public Projects Director and, as requested, to the Executive Director
- 5+ years experience in a related field
- Mig welding and arc welding experience along with the ability to operate and maintain common tools of metal fabrication including, but not limited to: horizontal band saw, ironworker, 4.5 angle grinder plasma and oxy, acetylene torch cutting etc…
- Organized and detail oriented, manage time well and work well under a deadline
- Ability to engage with diverse populations of program participants, program partners, and program funders
- Ability to tow a trailer
- Interest in becoming an active Steel Yard community member
- Experience in non-profit or community work
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Teaching experience
- Full studio access
- Discounts on Steel Yard courses
- Personal time and sick leave
- Starting wage $20.00 per hour
Thank you in advance for your interest in The Steel Yard. Due to the volume of applicants, only candidates who will be invited to interview will be contacted. Interviews will be scheduled for the week of 2/25/2019. The position is open until filled.
The Steel Yard is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.