The Steel Yard’s historic campus is a platform for professional artists, makers and the community to practice and learn the industrial arts. The organization fosters creative and economic opportunities, by providing workspace, tools, training, and education while forging lasting links to a local tradition of craftsmanship.
We believe in a world still made by hand, where individuals, communities, neighbors, businesses, municipalities, and institutions come together to experience the creative process in order to enrich our private lives and public spaces.
At the Steel Yard, we believe:
- creative contributions to society have an innate cultural and economic value
- mentorship can provide new generations with opportunities for financial and ideological independence and strong, stable support networks
- anyone can create, and the act of creation introduces unique experiences and deep appreciation for art and craftsmanship
- everyone regardless of their background or previous experience deserves access to the education, skills, and equipment needed to directly improve their conditions and community
- there is great value in sharing knowledge openly across disciplines, generations and diverse life experiences
- historic preservation, reclamation, and revitalization ground us, and connect us to the past
- access to industrial space for artists is an important indicator of the economic health of our city
- every member of our community interacts with the Yard in unique ways. They are “Yardies”, stewards and champions of the creative space and spirit
- it is our responsibility to understand the environmental impacts of our work and to make sustainable choices whenever possible