COVID 19 AND THE YARD
COMMUNITY UPDATES AND RESOURCES
UPDATED NOVEMBER 24, 2020
There is a reason we say measure twice and cut once. Please take the time to review these protocols and read our program updates.
- November 24, 2020: As a result of the partial statewide “pause” to flatten Rhode Island’s Curve of COVID-19 Cases, we have rescheduled the Holiday Art sale to Saturday, December 19th, with a rain date of the 20th. The Resident Art sale is an incredibly important economic opportunity for our local artists and we look forward to seeing you after the pause! If you have specific covid related concerns please visit the Department of Health website.https://health.ri.gov/covid/
- Any person entering the studio must use the main lobby entrance
- All staff, artists, and visitors will be required to wear the correct personal protective equipment (PPE) while in the studios. This means wearing a mask or face covering (ex. N95, cloth mask, bandana, scarf, etc.), and eye protection.
- There will be a sanitizing station and sign-in station upon entrance to the lobby.
- Follow the Five: Stay home when you can, keep a safe distance, wash hands often, cover your cough. And, if you’re not feeling well call ahead, and don’t come in if you aren’t sure.
OUR SANITATION PRACTICE
- We will be sanitizing all common surfaces and touchpoints on a daily basis 2 times per day (door handles, knobs, switches, bathrooms, etc.)
- There will be sanitizer and paper towel stations available throughout the main office building and in all studios.
- There will be increased signage and instructions added throughout the main office building and studio with suggestions and new information about procedures regarding Covid-19.
ENTERING THE LOBBY
- The lobby door will be locked if you have an activated access code use it to enter the building. If you are a visitor or do not have an access code ring the doorbell/ call your person of contact to let you in.
- Upon entrance to the lobby any visitor, artist, or staff will be presented with a sanitizing station; all persons entering the studio must use hand sanitizer provided.
- Studio users must sign in every time you are entering the studio for the day.
- PPE will be required at all times.
- All persons in the studio are required to practice social distancing – staying 6 ft apart whenever possible.
- There will be clearly marked social distancing reminders in the shop.
- All persons are required to wash their hands frequently throughout the day.
- All persons working in the shop are encouraged to not touch your face (nose, mouth, and ears) to help stop the spread of germs.
- Shared tools will be sanitized after use by the user. Sanitizer is provided in each shop (ex. drill press, stand up sander, bandsaw, table vise, welder, kick-wheel, pugmill, etc.)
- If you start to feel sick while at work or in the studio go home immediately.
- If you are sick or come in contact with someone sick we ask that you stay home.
Office hours in both the main office and studio office are Monday through Friday, 9 AM – 5 PM. We are accepting appointments scheduled in advance only. Please message email@example.com or call 401-273-7101 (main office) or 401-369-7776 (studio office) with any questions.
Do you need to reach a specific staff member? Visit our Team Page and send them a message directly.
To allow for more flexibility and resilience in our course offerings, we will not be offering multi-week courses. Rather, all courses will be one-night, 3-hour workshops, that will fall under one of two categories:
Skills Classes: focused on a specific skill (i.e., plasma cutting, wheel throwing, tapering, sawing, etc.)
- An example might be a single night metals course focused on just plasma cutting, or a jewelry workshop purely on jump ring chains
Taster Classes: project-based introductory courses, providing a survey of skills, ideal for students new to the media
- Examples of such courses taught in the past include: Forge Your Own Bottle Opener, Steel Candlesticks, Ready Set Throw!, and Forged Earrings
For students looking to recreate the experience of having a multi-week course, we will provide suggestions for a sequence of Skills Classes that would dovetail to provide a deeper experience in the shop.
For full list of Course, Safety Policy Updates go here. Please be sure to review our updated Registration & Enrollment Policies prior to registering. We are accepting Scholarship applications. For your comfort, we are now offering Private Instruction opportunities. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
COMMUNITY STUDIO ACCESS
Access currently requires the Community Studio Access Request Form. It must be completed at least a 24 HOURS prior to the requested access date. Currently, we are offering Studio Access on Thursdays from 3-6 PM and Sundays from 5-8 PM. Please submit one form per attendee. Contact email@example.com with any questions regarding registration.
SITE RENTALS & EVENTS
We are not offering site rentals at The Steel Yard for public & private events during summer 2020. Fall events at the Yard are currently under review. We encourage anyone interested in hosting an outdoor event at The Steel Yard for the 2021 season to fill out the Event Request Form. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Please contact email@example.com with questions about public art & commissions or our Workforce Training Program.
We continue to monitor the evolving coronavirus situation closely and follow the guidance provided by the Governor and the Center for Disease Control (CDC). To learn more about COVID-19, at-risk groups, and how to protect yourself, the CDC has information available at www.cdc.gov.