Kick-Start your welding career and get paid to learn
Our Workforce Training Program is a 32 hour, week-long job-readiness program. Each session is Monday through Friday, 10 AM – 4:30 PM. During the training, you’ll learn industry safety standards and use metalworking tools such as the MIG Welder, oxy-acetylene torch, plasma cutter, chop saw, band saw, and angle grinder. These skills will be applied to a functional public art project that will be installed in the local community. Completion of this week-long program will make you eligible to apply for a 3-month long, part-time apprenticeship in our Public Projects Department.
This is an opportunity to think critically, take leadership, experiment, and problem-solve while gaining valuable work-related soft skills such as communication, listening, teamwork, and reliability.
NEXT TRAINING SESSION
August 29 – September 2, 2022, 10:00am – 4:30pm
August 5, 2022
Participants that successfully complete the program will receive the following:
- A stipend of $250 will be paid upon successful completion of the program
- An additional 9 hours of studio access for continued practice
- Eligible for further paid opportunities at The Steel Yard
- Eligible to apply for a follow-up paid apprenticeship program
WHEN IS THE WORKFORCE TRAINING PROGRAM?
The Steel Yard hosts a single-week training program that provides 32 hours of training in an industrial metal shop. The training program runs Monday through Friday, 10 AM – 4:30 PM, applicants must be available to attend the entire week. Qualified applicants are required to participate in a 30-minute telephone interview, and will then be notified of acceptance.
WHAT WILL I GET WHEN I COMPLETE THE PROGRAM
Participants that successfully complete the training receive a stipend of $250, a Steel Yard metalworking certificate of completion, eligible to apply for the paid apprenticeship program at The Steel Yard, and complimentary access to three Community Studio Access sessions. Successful graduates will be eligible for further paid opportunities at The Steel Yard.
WHAT IS THE FOLLOW-UP PAID APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM
This program is built around The Steel Yard’s Public Projects program of building community-based public art while borrowing from the tradition of guild apprenticeship. This opportunity will provide 20 hours of work each week in the Public Projects department, paid at a livable wage ($15/hr) for 3 months following the initial training.
To be eligible for this program, applicants must be:
- A Rhode Island resident, aged 18 and above
- Able to attend the full program – all day, every day
- Physically able to participate in an industrial shop (for example, able to stand for long periods, lift at least 50 lbs, can tolerate loud noises and flashing lights)
- Able to read and understand English
This program is designed to create equity in Central Providence. Therefore, preference will be given to applicants:
- Living in Central Providence (Valley, Federal Hill, Olneyville, Hartford, Silver Lake, Mt. Pleasant)
- Who have faced significant barriers due to injustice and oppression
- Struggling to financially make ends meet
- Who are not currently enrolled in school or part of an alternative academic program
Workforce Application can be found here.
** Please note that only eligible applicants will be contacted for a telephone interview prior to the start of the next available program.
At the Steel Yard, we believe everyone deserves access to the education, skills, and equipment needed to directly improve their conditions and community regardless of their race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, status with regard to public assistance, disability, sex, age or previous experience. The Steel Yard acknowledges the harm that has been done to BIPOC communities as a result of systemic racism and encourages our supporters and affiliates to join us in challenging ourselves to consistently do better. Read our full D.E.I & Anti-Racism Statement here.
QUESTIONS: Feel free to contact The Steel Yard at email@example.com or by phone at 401-273-7101