Kick-Start your welding career and get paid to learn
The Steel Yard is dedicated to providing Rhode Islanders who have experienced barriers to financial stability with access to education, training, and facilities to learn and practice the industrial arts. To meet the needs of this community, the organization has developed paid job-readiness programs that provide the technical skills necessary to make participants more employable in livable-wage jobs.
The Workforce Training Program is a 35 hour, week-long program. Each session is Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM – 4:00 PM. During the training, you’ll learn industry safety standards and use metalworking tools such as the MIG Welder, oxy-acetylene torch, plasma cutter, chop saw, band saw, and angle grinder. These skills will be applied to a functional public art project that will be installed in the local community. Completion of this week-long program will make you eligible to apply for a 3-month long, part-time apprenticeship in our Public Projects Department.
This is an opportunity to think critically, take leadership, experiment, and problem-solve while gaining valuable work-related soft skills such as communication, listening, teamwork, and reliability.
Participants that successfully complete the program will receive the following:
- A stipend of $175 will be paid upon successful completion of the program
- An additional 9 hours of studio access for continued practice
- Eligible for further paid opportunities at The Steel Yard
- Eligible to apply for a follow-up paid apprenticeship program
WHAT IS THE FOLLOW-UP PAID APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM
The Steel Yard’s apprenticeship is built around our Public Projects program of building community-based public art while borrowing from the tradition of guild apprenticeship. This opportunity will provide 2 successful graduates of the introductory program with 20 hours of work each week in the Public Projects department, paid at a livable wage for 3 months following the initial training.
NEXT TRAINING SESSION
To be eligible for this program, applicants must be:
- A Rhode Island resident, aged 18 and above
- Able to attend the full program – all day, every day
- Has not been convicted of a Major Felony, including sexually-based crimes
- Physically able to participate in an industrial shop
- Able to read and understand English
This program is designed to create equity in Central Providence. Therefore, preference will be given to applicants:
- Living in Central Providence (Valley, Federal Hill, Olneyville, Hartford)
- Who have faced significant barriers due to injustice and oppression
- Struggling to financially make ends meet
- Who are not currently enrolled in school or part of an alternative academic program
- Apply online by filling out the Workforce Training Application
- Print & Fill out the PDF application
- Apply via mail to The Steel Yard office 27 Sims Avenue, Providence, RI 02909
- Apply by fax at 401-273-7105
- Apply by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
** Please note that only eligible applicants will be contacted for a telephone interview prior to the start of the next available program
It is the policy of The Steel Yard that there shall be no discrimination with respect to the selection of program participants because of race, color, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, gender, or military status.
Questions? Please contact The Steel Yard at 401-273- 7101 or email email@example.com.