The Steel Yard’s Residency Program is designed to assist emerging to mid-level artists in growing and strengthening their art practice in a supportive, cooperative environment through access to the Steel Yard’s studios and facilities. Participating artists have the opportunity to work together, to take part in community events and sales and to be creative leaders in a vibrant community shop. Most of all, residents get an all-access pass to our studios in pursuit of their own work.
Located along the Woonasquatucket River in the heart of Providence’s Industrial Valley neighborhood, the Steel Yard’s Residency Programs are housed in our 10,000 square foot industrial art studio. This community shop serves as a creative incubator for working artists, professionals, and students alike. All Residents will have use of their respective studios except during teaching times, special events, or when the Steel Yard is closed.
Don’t want to commit to a full year? Artists looking to complete a specific project or prototype within a limited amount of time may apply for a Micro Residency at the Steel Yard.
The residency fee is $150 each month.
LEADERSHIP AND SUPPORT OPPORTUNITIES
In order to ensure that the Residency Program is financially accessible to participants, the Steel Yard offers support in recognition of leadership, artistic merit or contributions of sweat equity. To be considered for leadership or support positions, applicants will be asked to upload a written statement detailing qualifications or need during the application process. For more details about these positions, please read the Resident Program Handbook.
- Merit Fellowship: The Steel Yard offers paid opportunities to Residents with exceptional leadership and craftsmanship skills. The merit based Fellowship position is designed to support the creative practice of mid-career artists by providing full studio access in exchange for mentoring and leadership within the Residency program.
- Kiln Master: The Kiln Master position is a paid opportunity where the resident is responsible for firing works generated as a result of our Open Enrollment Classes. Both of these opportunities are available to residents in good standing who commit to participating in the program for a full season.
- Work Share: In order to make our Residency Program more financially accessible to emerging artists, the Steel Yard offers Work Share positions to Residents in good standing participating in the program for a full season. Work Share Residents commit 15 hours of dedicated work time to the Steel Yard on a monthly basis in exchange for waived residency fees.
- Alloy Fellowship: to support artists who would most benefit from having access to industrial arts programming and tool, as well as professional development and mentoring opportunities. Priority consideration will be given to makers of artistic merit who have experienced barriers, financial or otherwise, while pursuing their creative practice. Recipients must be in good standing and able to enthusiastically commit to participating in the program for a full season, and are not be currently enrolled full time in a formal academic institution.
The residency programs run from September 9th, 2019 – August 31, 2020.
Artists/makers accepted into the Steel Yards Residency Program will be required to sign a contract detailing responsibilities, privileges, studio access, and safety procedures for each studio. Residents will also be expected to pay a resident fee for access to the Steel Yard’s studios, to contribute 5 hours of work time to the department monthly, and to participate in organizational fundraisers and departmental clean ups. Upon completion of their term, residents should expect to provide the Steel Yard with 5 images of the work created during their term, or as a direct result of their time at the Yard.
Read and review the Resident Program Handbook for complete guidelines & expectations.
- Two References that can speak to your artistic merit
- A brief biography
- A narrative statement outlineing how you’ll use your time in the Steel Yard Studios
- UPLOAD: Supporting statment articulating your request for leadership or support, if applicable
- UPLOAD: Current CV/resume as an attachment (labeled as LastNameResume)
- UPLOAD: 10 digital images of current work, Standard format JPG at 1920×1920 pixels @ 72dpi (Labeled as LastNameImage1, LastNameImage2, etc)
- An image list detaling the images you provided
ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
Incomplete or partial applications will not be considered.
Please note that this application is via ‘Google Forms’ and requires applicants to have a google acocunt in order to upload documents. In order to help you have a smooth application process, click here for a sample application form.
The deadline for application is May 13th, 2019. Applicants will be notified no later than June 10th. Midseason applicants will be considered if space is available; with RSVP’s made within 30 days from the receipt of the applications.
If you have any technical problems, questions, or concerns, please reach out firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
The Steel Yard is committed to diversity and inclusion. It is the policy of the Steel Yard that there shall be no discrimination with respect to the selection of the artist in residence because of race, color, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, gender, age, physical limitations or military status.