Student Micro Residency
Leadership and support opportunities
The Steel Yard offers free Student Micro Residencies for artists emerging out of the higher education system. This opportunity is available to current, or recent, bachelors or masters students working primarily in ceramics, jewelry, metals, or foundry.
All residencies include access to shared studios and tools along with personal storage space. Residents will have use of their respective studios except during teaching times or special events
Applicants should be enrolled in an academic program OR recent graduates having graduated within 24 months of the application deadline. Applicants should display experience, and an avid interest, within their media and a desire to work in a community studio.
RESIDENCY FEES AND OBLIGATIONS
Micro-Residency Fees are waived. Summer Student Residents recipients commit to contributing 15 hours of sweat equity to the Steel Yard on a monthly basis. Summer Student Residents report directly to Steel Yard administrators and should expect to work an average of 4 hours a week on studio or community projects, occasionally more or less; with monthly hours not to exceed 15.
Recipients of the Summer Student Micro Residency will also receive $250 in materials reimbursement to help facilitate their creative practice. Mentoring opportunities are also available to encourage critique, dialogue, and further learning.
RESIDENCY INFO SESSION
March 25th, 2020 6 PM – 7 PM
June 1, 2020 – August 31, 2020
April 10, 2020
HOW TO APPLY
Read and review the Resident Program Handbook for complete guidelines & expectations.
- A reference that can speak to your artistic process and merit
- A brief biography
- A narrative statement outlining how you’ll use your time in the Steel Yard Studios
- UPLOAD: Supporting statement articulating your request for leadership or support, if applicable
- UPLOAD: Current CV/resume as an attachment (labeled as LastNameResume)
- UPLOAD: 10 digital images of current work, Standard format JPG at 1920×1920 pixels @ 72dpi (Labeled as LastNameImage1, LastNameImage2, etc)
- An image list detailing the images you provided
- RSVP’s will be made by April 24, 2020. Accepted residents will be expected to sign a contract within two weeks of notification of acceptance.
Please note that this application is via ‘Google Forms’ and requires applicants to have a google account in order to upload documents. Click here for a sample application form.
Apply by filling out the Student Micro Residency Application
The Steel Yard is committed to diversity and inclusion. It is the policy of the Steel Yard that there shall be no discrimination with respect to the selection of the artist in residence because of race, color, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, gender, age, physical limitations or military status.