Client Relations Manager
TITLE: Client Relations Manager
REPORTS TO: Public Projects Director
SCHEDULE: Full Time
START DATE: Fall 2021
**QT/BIPOC applicants are strongly encouraged to apply
ABOUT THE STEEL YARD
The Steel Yard is an award-winning industrial arts center, a manufacturer of custom fine and functional public art, a craft school, a shared studio, and Providence’s most unique private outdoor venue.
Our Mission: The Steel Yard’s historic campus is a platform for professional artists, makers, and the community to practice and learn the industrial arts. The organization fosters creative and economic opportunities, by providing workspace, tools, training, and education, while forging lasting links to a local tradition of craftsmanship.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Anti-racism: The Steel Yard is committed to diversity and inclusion. It is the policy of the Steel Yard that there shall be no discrimination with respect to the selection of the artist in residence because of race, color, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, gender, age, physical limitations, or military status. You can learn more about DEI at The Steel Yard here.
About Public Projects at The Steel Yard: The Steel Yard collaborates with local artists, vendors, and industry to produce custom and site-specific, functional public sculptures. Our teams of artists work closely with each community, municipality or non-profit clients to develop, design, and produce each unique project. Examples of this functional public art can be seen throughout Southern New England including Providence’s Olneyville Square, Brown University, RI School of Design and throughout downtown Providence, the Town of Bristol, the International Charter School in Pawtucket, the Town of Warren, Riverview Improvement Association in Warwick, and at Tufts University in Medford, MA. Proceeds generated from our line of urban furniture help to keep our Course fees low and Youth Programs free.
Client Relations Manager: The Client Relations Manager(CRM) is a key position within the Public Projects department. They contribute to the success of our public-art and community engagement practices by working closely with the Public Projects Director(PPD) and community partners/clients on the creation of excellent community projects and commissions.
The CRM is the primary contact with partners/clients; prompt and clear communication, building new relationships, and maintaining relationships with existing partners are all key components of this role. The CRM is responsible for maintaining detailed files on current, past and prospective jobs.
CLIENT RELATIONS MANAGER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Respond to every request for commissioned work in a timely and efficient manner
- Research and identify new potential clients, and maintain relationships with existing clients/partners
- Schedule and attend meetings with potential clients
- Maintain close ties to neighboring community and organizations
- Manage Public Projects Client, Artist and Trainee database.
- Work with Public Projects team and client to establish production schedule and delivery/install dates
- Track client contracting, payments, and manage invoicing
- Maintain advertising and communications.
- Provide materials and support for grants directly related to Public Projects
- Contributes to Workforce Training Program Management
- Maintain organized and detailed records for projects
- Contract with outside vendors and suppliers when needed
NEW ADMINISTRATIVE/ MANAGEMENT
- Develop new marketing materials, and develop marketing strategies to increase partner/client base
- Become familiar with contracting process
- Promote The Steel Yard’s mission
- Regularly attend staff meetings, and occasional Board Meetings when requested
- Participate in fundraising events and initiatives
- Attend organizational planning meetings when requested
- Excellent written and oral communication and customer service skills
- Ability to write persuasively and enthusiastically about public art
- Proficiency with Mac, Adobe Software, Google Suite
- Enthusiasm to work with, and encourage numerous diverse artists and students in their experimentation and work
- Interest in mindful urban development and the value of community accessible art
- Interest in becoming an active Steel Yard community member
- Bachelor Degree, or previous success in project management or professional studio experience. Lived experience considered over degrees
- An understanding of welding, blacksmithing, ceramics, woodworking and public art installation
- Familiarity with Olneyville, Providence, and Rhode Island
- Familiarity with local artists and fabricators
- Experience using Salesforce platform
- Full studio access
- Discounts on Steel Yard courses
- Paid vacation
- Personal time and sick leave
- Healthcare split
- $40,000/year starting salary
Oral review at 6 months, written review annually, following the first year of employment, in January.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume or CV. Please include two references that can speak to your strengths regarding this position and any specific examples of relevant past work (this could be programmatic or artistic).
The subject line of your email should be: CLIENT RELATIONSHIP MANAGER/ your name.
All applications due by September 30, 2021
*** Thank you in advance for your interest in The Steel Yard. Due to the volume of applicants, only candidates who will be invited to interview will be contacted. The position is open until filled.
The Steel Yard is committed to diversity and inclusion. The Steel Yard is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected.